Business Licenses

Chapter 5.04 of the La Puente Municipal Code requires every person conducting a business, profession, trade, or occupation within the City of La Puente to obtain a business license, and to pay the applicable business tax and all other appropriate business license fees.

Please note: All businesses are required to pay a State Mandated Fee of $4.00.

Along with the application, the City will require certain inspections of the business location, depending on the type of business. The agencies conducting the inspections may include:

  • Planning Department
  • Code Enforcement
  • Building and Safety
  • Fire Department
  • Health Department

In-Town Businesses are those businesses that are within the jurisdiction of the City of La Puente. Information such as name of the business, names of all business owners, the state resale tax number, and the federal employer tax identification number are requested. The application must be fully complete to be accepted.

New businesses, change of address, or change of ownership are required to pay a $200.00 non-refundable one time application fee in addition to the business license tax and state mandated fee. The basic license tax fee is $50.00 plus $5.00 per employee, including the owner(s).

In-Town businesses must submit a City Business License Application Form as well as a Notice To Prospective Businesses Statement of Intended Use (Form 30) required by the County of Los Angeles Fire Department Fire Prevention Division.

More information can be found in the applications below:

Please note that business licenses are non-transferable.

Contractors and subcontractors are also required to obtain a business license if providing services in the City of La Puente. The general contractor fee is $50.00 and $40.00 for a subcontractor. The one-time application review fee of $ 200.00 is also required.

Note: In order for agents of contractors to pull licenses and permits, it is the agent’s responsibility to have a notarized letter and a copy of the state contractor’s card. Otherwise, only a valid driver’s license and the state license card are needed.

Home based businesses within the City of La Puente are require to obtain a Home Occupation License.  There is a $ 200.00 non-refundable one time application fee, a home occupation inspection fee of $ 83.00, in addition to the business license tax and state mandated fee.

For a home occupancy business license application, the “Statement of Intended Use” is required with the application. A sample statement is included with the application form.

Pursuant to SB946 City Council adopted Ordinance No. 19-959 that became effective April 26, 2019 which established regulations for Mobile Vending in the City of La Puente.

For all operating requirements please see application below:

All business licenses must be renewed annually if the business continues operating in the City of La Puente.  New businesses must apply in person at City Hall.

If you are terminating a business, please submit your request by completing the application below and returning to City Hall.

For payments over the phone please complete and submit the credit card authorization form below.



Common Questions Regarding Business Licenses.

Do I need a Business License?

City of La Puente (City) Municipal Code states that no person shall engage in business or represent and carry on a business, trade, profession, or occupation in the city without first having obtained a license from the city. A separate license must be obtained for each branch establishment or location and for each separate type of business at the same location.

LPMC 5.04.140
California Business & Professions Code 16300

What Is a DBA?

"DBA" stands for "Doing Business As." It is officially known as a Fictitious Business Name. A Fictitious Business name is a name that does not include the surname of the individual or a name that suggests the existence of additional owners. If you propose to use a fictitious business name, contact the L A County Clerk Recorder's Office and your local newspaper to schedule a publication of notice.

L A County Clerk Recorder's Office
12400 Imperial Hwy
Norwalk CA 91744
(800) 201-8999 option 4

Do I need a Sellers Permit?

If you sell tangible personal property, you are required to obtain a Seller’s Permit from the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration (CDTFA), formerly handled by the State Board of Equalization (SBOE), for the purpose of collecting and reporting sales tax to the State of California. To obtain a Seller’s Permit, contact the CDTFA at 626-480-7200, or you may apply in person at 21680 Gateway Center Drive suite 200 Diamond Bar CA 91765.

The CalGold website, is a comprehensive website that assists business owners in finding the appropriate permit information for their business. It also provides contact information for the various agencies that administer and issue permits, including those for cities, counties, and various other departments.

What type of ownership do I have?

Sole Proprietorship - A sole proprietorship is an unincorporated business that is owned by one person or by a husband and wife. You include the income expenses of the business on your own tax return. We must have the owner’s name, home address, Social Security number, and drivers license number.

Partnership - A partnership is the relationship existing between two or more persons who join to carry on a trade or business. Each person contributes money, property, labor or skill and expects to share in the profits and losses of the business. A partnership is not taxable on the income of the entity. Each partner includes his or her share of the partnerships income or loss on his or her tax return. We require a Federal Tax ID number.

Limited Liability Company - A Limited Liability Company ("LLC") combines traditional corporate and partnership characteristics.

Corporation - In forming a corporation, prospective shareholders transfer money, property, or both for the corporation’s capital stock. The profit of a corporation is taxed to both the corporation and the shareholders when the profit is distributed as dividends. In California, the Secretary of State stamps the number only on the original articles of Incorporation.

For more information regarding ownership please visit the Franchise Tax Board website.

Do I need a Federal Tax Number (FEIN)?

An Employer Identification Number (EIN), also known as a federal tax identification number, is used to identify a business entity. Generally a partnership, corporation or LLC business needs an EIN. Most banks require an EIN when opening a corporate bank account. You will need to contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to obtain your Federal Employer ID number or call 866-816-2065.

Do I need a State License?

Depending on the type of business being conducted, you may. Please consult the Department of Consumer Affairs or call 800-952-5210. Contact the California Contractors State License Board (CSLB) or call 800-321-2752.

Do I need zoning approval for my business activity?

New businesses (Land Uses), including those not requiring the construction of a structure, require Zoning Clearance from the Planning Division. Please contact the Planning Division at 626-855-1538 for more information.

Do I need to display my business license?

Yes. Per LPMC 5.04.260 your certificate MUST be displayed in a conspicuous place at the location of the business. If you are an out of town business, please carry a copy of your certificate with you.

How do I transfer my business license?

Per LPMC 5.04.240 A business license is not transferable to another owner. It is the responsibility of the owner or operator to advise the Business License Office of ownership changes, relocation, or termination of business.

How do I cancel my business license?

If you are no longer conducting business in the City of La Puente, it is your responsibility to cancel the business license to avoid penalties, which can reach up to 100% penalty of the fee due. This cancellation must be submitted in writing and include the business license number, request to cancel, your signature, and the date. If you are registered with other government agencies as a business, such as the Los Angeles County Clerk Recorder or the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration (CDTFA), please remember to cancel your filings with them as well.

What is the $4 CA State Fee added to my business license tax?

* AB 1379 adds a mandated state fee of $4 on any applicant for a business license or renewal to comply with federal and state disability laws. Under federal and state law, compliance with disability access laws is a serious and significant responsibility that applies to all California building owners and tenants with buildings open to the public. You may obtain information about your legal obligations and how to comply with disability access laws at the following agencies:
The Division of the State Architect at
The Department of Rehabilitation at
The California commission on Disability Access at

Disability Access Requirements and Resources Notice

AB 3002 Business License, Building Permit Model Notice webpage


California Civil Code §51.6 prohibits businesses from engaging in gender-based discrimination. A full notice of the business’s legal obligations is available in English and other languages at or by request from our office.


City Hall:

15900 E. Main Street

La Puente, CA 91744


Community Center:

501 N. Glendora Avenue

La Puente, CA 91744


Senior Center:

16001 Main Street

La Puente, CA 91744


© 2024    |    La Puente, CA    |    All Rights Reserved