The Planning Division provides staff support to the City Council and Planning Commission in formulating and administering plans, programs, development standards and legislation for guiding the City's development in a manner consistent with the City’s General Plan. The Division’s primary goal is to ensure and enhance the quality of life in the City through the administration of the La Puente Municipal Code relative to zoning and subdivisions, the City’s General Plan, the California Environmental Quality Act, and a variety of interrelated laws involving the public health, safety and welfare. It accomplishes these goals through current and advanced planning responsibilities.
Current Planning includes the processing of applications for Conditional Use Permits, Site Plan and Design Review Applications, land subdivisions, residential and commercial remodels, signage, temporary outdoor promotional sales permits (TOPs), and design review. The Division approves applications administratively or prepares and presents completed applications for development permits to the Planning Commission / Development review Board and City Council.
Advanced Planning includes the review and update of the City’s General Plan, the Zoning Code and all planning related Municipal Code updates. The General Plan provides the basic constitution for development within the City. It is comprised of five elements that set the goals and policies of the City and was comprehensively updated in 2004. The Zoning Code implements the General Plan goals and policies. It sets uniform development regulations for each zoning designation within the City.
- Building Identification Sign Application
- Business Permit - (Application)
- Conditional Use Permit Application - (Application) Certain types of land uses require special consideration in a particular zone or in the City as a whole because they possess unique characteristics or present special problems that make automatic inclusion as permitted uses either impractical or undesirable. Procedures for “CUPs” are outlined in Chapter 10.84 of the La Puente Municipal Code.
- Development Agreement (Application)
- Fence Permit – (Application) Single Family Residential Application - all fences require Planning Division review and approval
- Fence Permit – (Application) Multi-Family Residential Application Fence proposals over 42" in the front setback of Multi-Family Residential Zones
- Fence Plot Plan - Sample
- Film Permit - (Application)
- Lot Line Adjustment - Modification or rearrangement of a property line between two (2) and four (4) legal, adjacent parcels that does not result in the creation of additional parcels.
- Minor Use Permit Application - (Application) Certain types of land uses require special consideration in a particular zone or in the City as a whole because they possess unique characteristics or present special problems that make automatic inclusion as permitted uses either impractical or undesirable. Procedures for “MUPs” are outlined in Chapter 10.84 of the La Puente Municipal Code.
- Minor Variance - May be approved when, because of special circumstances applicable to the property, the strict application of the Zoning Code denies the owner of the property privileges enjoyed by other property located nearby and in an identical zone.
- Municipal Code Amendment – (Application)
- Peddlers Permit – (Application)
- Planned Development Permit - (Application)
- Promotional Advertising Permit – (Application) Banners, flags, pennant
- Site Plan and Design Review – (Application) New residential & commercial construction, commercial facade improvements, commercial expansions
- Site Plan Review – (Application) Remodels, patios, pools, additions, alterations
- Sign Plan Application – (Application) New sign construction, master sign programs
- Solicitors Permit – (Application)
- Specific Plan Amendment Application
- Temporary Use Permit - Tent sales, outdoor events
- Tentative Parcel Map Application - Subdivision of Land - Generally resulting in four (4) or less parcels
- Tentative Tract Map Application - Subdivision of Land - Generally resulting in five (5) or more parcels
- Variance Application - Proposal of development of land that varies from development standards as prescribed by the La Puente Municipal Code where a property is unique is shape, size, or topography
- Zone Change Application
Fee Schedule – Please check with the Planning Division for applicable fees.
Alcohol Beverage Control (ABC)